Table of Contents
Is Digital Marketing A Good Career Option (2020)?
And as always, for any one-on-one consulting and assistance, you may contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Is Digital Marketing still in demand as what is was?
How good is a career in Digital Marketing?
Is Digital Marketing worth it in 2020?
What is the average salary of a digital marketer?
The internet is ever-growing. And that goes without saying. And with it, the number of users online keeps increasing as well.
Let’s start off with some facts.
Based on the Asia Internet use, population statistics data and Facebook data (as of Jan 31, 2020) reports from Internet World Stats, China leads the numbers with 854 Million Internet Users (as of Mat 31, 2020), with India at second, having 560 Million Internet Users, but with 280 Million Facebook users, which is the highest number of users in the world.
Here’s another report with the number of social network users in India from 2015 to 2018 with a forecast until 2023 (in millions).
With the ease of internet access, the number of social media users in India stood at 326.1 million in 2018. This increase is relatively lower as compared to the growth that occurred between 2016 and 2017.
Nevertheless, the social network users in the country were expected to be almost 448 million in 2023.
Based on another report from Hootsuite, here is an indication of the most used social media platforms in India, as of Jan 2020.
Very clear from this, Youtube leads the way, with Facebook, Whatsapp and Instagram to follow.
Global digital population as of April 2020 (in billions)
Almost 4.57 billion people were active internet users as of April 2020, encompassing 59 percent of the global population.
China, India and the United States rank ahead all other countries in terms of internet users.
Digital advertising revenue in India from financial year 2008 to 2019 with a forecast until financial year 2024 (in billion Indian rupees)
In financial year 2019, the revenue generated by digital advertising across India was valued at around 160 billion Indian rupees. That same year, India’s total advertising revenue was estimated to be around 700 billion Indian rupees and the country was ranked as the third largest advertising market across the world in terms of ad spending.
The Future is Digital
The highest share of ad revenue was generated by the Indian television ad market, valued at over 250 billion rupees in fiscal year 2018, followed by the print market.
However, the projections for each of these segments show a clear pattern where the digital ad market will rapidly overtake print as well as television revenues by fiscal year 2024.
According to these projections, the digital ad revenue in the country will be worth almost 540 billion rupees by fiscal year 2024, while the television and print ad revenues were projected to reach about 455 billion rupees and 276 billion rupees respectively.
These numbers clearly show that India is heading towards a digital advertising future.
Big bucks for Digital Advertising
The reasons for this surge in India’s digital advertising are clear. Rising penetration of affordable and speedy internet, along with an increase in vernacular content consumption make up the tip of the iceberg.
Along with this, big-moneyed industries such as banking, financial services, and insurance are increasingly experimenting with non-traditional media platforms such as YouTube and Instagram Stories to connect with users.
Is Digital Marketing in demand?
With all the above facts and market predictions (backed by industry reports), it is but obvious that Digital Marketing is here to stay for a long time.
Even with the new buzz in the market of ‘Artificial Intelligence’, you still need a digital marketer to understand human behavior and demands to run paid ads on various platforms. This is just one example.
With a number of businesses that have already set up online stores and with a good number of businesses considering going online now, due to the Covid-19 situation, one needs to only use common sense to predict the requirement for certified digital marketing professionals.
And if you haven’t already, do register for my upcoming course on Digital Marketing. It is a certified course.
How can I start a career in Digital Marketing?
To begin with, you could register for my upcoming course. 😉
Well, before we get into how to start a career in Digital Marketing, it is important to understand the various components of Digital Marketing.
Early on and occasionally even now, I do come across individuals who equate Digital Marketing to Social Media. Well, Social Media is one of the components of Digital Marketing.
So what are the various components of Digital Marketing?
Digital Marketing is simple and not rocket science by any stretch of the imagination. Anyone with basic computer knowledge can be a good Digital Marketer. And there are different components to Digital Marketing.
Based on your area of expertise or interests, you could choose from one of the different components of Digital Marketing.
- Website [Related article: Build A Brand, Learn WordPress and Email Marketing]
- Social Media Marketing
- Search Engine Optimization [Related article: SEO Checklist To Increase Traffic For New Websites]
- Search Engine Marketing / Pay-Per-Click
- Content Marketing [Related article: How To Create A Content Calendar]
- Email Marketing [Related article: A Beginner’s Guide to Email Marketing (2020)]
- Marketing Automation [Related article: Online Marketing Solutions to Help Grow Your Business]
- Affiliate Marketing [Related article: Affiliate Marketing for Beginners]
What is the average salary of a Digital Marketer?
While this is purely dependent on the role you eventually land up with, I hope to cover some of the roles and the salaries associated with it.
Digital Marketing Manager
Job Role & Skills
- Manage SEM, PPC, SEO, Content Marketing, and Email Promotions
- Planning, Organising & Executing campaigns
- Create, Execute & Manage Paid Marketing Campaigns, budgeting & spends
- Good understanding of SEO
- Measure & Analyze performance on all platforms
- Discover market trends and insights
On average, the annual salary for a Digital Marketing Manager with about 4 to 6 years of experience is Rs. 8 – 12 Lakhs in India. This is based on the city too.
Job Role & Skills
- Experience with SEO tools like SEMrush, Ahrefs, Google Analytics, Search Console, etc.
- Understanding of Google Ranking Algorithms, including Technical SEO
- Identifying the most appropriate keywords for the business
The average salary for an SEO executive with 1 to 2 years of experience is approx. Rs. 2 – 3 Lakhs in India.
Pay scales of other roles,
- Digital Marketing Manager: ₹216k – ₹1m
- Digital Marketing Specialist: ₹160k – ₹678k
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Analyst: ₹117k – ₹425k
- Marketing Executive: ₹149k – ₹540k
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Specialist: ₹120k – ₹498k
- Content Writer: ₹138k – ₹510k
- Marketing Manager: ₹292k – ₹2m
- Social Media Manager: ₹173k – ₹706k
- Digital Marketing Analyst: ₹166k – ₹563k
- Digital Marketing Associate: ₹140k – ₹517k
I hope you found value in this article.
Please do share your views and feedback in the comments section below. It will only help me improve and in turn, help me in bringing out quality content for you.